Student Handout for Lesson 4 of the Series: Finish Well
Teen Sunday School – July 1, 2012
Lighthouse Independent Baptist Church
Finish Well: An Effective Prayer Life
Colossians 1:7-8; Colossians 4:12-13
Last week we continued our Finish Well series looking at the importance for us as Christians to finish well when it comes to our Supplications (Prayers) to the Lord! We saw what prayer is, we saw how we’re to pray, and we saw a pattern for prayer from Paul. This morning, we keep with the theme of prayer as we look at the example of a man who had a very effective prayer life and how we too, if we follow his example, can have an effective prayer life as well.
– Who is Epaphras?
1. His name means “charming” or “lovely”.
2. Epaphras is mentioned only three times in the entire Bible.
3. All three references are in the NT; Colossians 1:7-8, Colossians 4:12-13, and Philemon 23.
4. Epaphras had preached the gospel. (Colossians 1:7-8)
5. Epaphras founded the church in Colossae. (Colossians 1:7-8)
6. He had a pastoral and teaching ministry. (Colossians 4:12-13)
7. Epaphras was a beloved ministry partner. (Colossians 1:7)
8. Epaphras was a faithful minister of Christ. (Colossians 1:7)
9. Epaphras was a bearer of Good News! (Colossians 1:8)
10. Epaphras was a true missionary. (Colossians 4:13)
11. Epaphras was a great man of prayer! (Colossians 4:12-13)
– Epaphras’ Foundations of An Effective Prayer Life:
1. A Foundation (“a servant of Christ” – Saved and Serving – Col. 4:12)
2. A Frequency (“always laboring” – Colossians 4:12)
3. A Fervency (“labouring fervently” – Colossians 4:12)
4. A Focus (“for you in prayers” – Praying for others – Colossians 4:12)
– Closing Lessons From Epaphras
1. Prayer Is Essential
2. Prayer Is For Every Christian
3. Prayerlessness Is Sin
So, the question remains; how’s your prayer life here this morning? Is it an effective one in light of what we have studied or could it use some work? Prayer, how powerful, wonderful, and life changing it can be if it’s effective! Strive to have a prayer life that is effective! Finish well!
THIS WEEK’S MEMORY VERSE: Colossians 4:12
THIS WEEK’S CHALLENGE: Pray for at least one person for at least 5 minutes each day.